In the midst of reviewing haiku books during the past months, it suddenly struck me that I can be self-serving and promote my own book for the holidays!
About a week ago, longtime haiku editor and publisher Marco Fraticelli of Canada wrote this to me, after purchasing my book:
“Your book, Haiku and Senryu: A Simple Guide for All, arrived yesterday. What a terrific book! Clear and sensible, and easy to understand even for someone who has very little knowledge of haiku. Every school should have a copy. Are all the haiku in the appendix yours? There are some amazing haiku there.”
I responded to Marco that in addition to all the haiku I included by other poets for instructional purposes, the Appendix, indeed, contains mine.
If you want to improve your haiku writing skills, teach it to students and adults alike, or are having trouble even getting started writing and publishing haiku, my book is your guide.
Haiku and Senryu: A Simple Guide for All will show you just how creative you can be, and get you writing and publishing haiku and senryu regularly.
As many of you know, when I am not earning money, I am living and breathing haiku, senryu and eleven other poetic forms. I already have haiku/haiga exhibits and workshops scheduled for the Chicago area in 2019 which I will be revealing in January through this blog and other outlets.
I know you’ll find my book useful, as it includes something for everyone: haiku and senryu basics; why poets love to write these poems; reading them with appreciation; where and how they originated; writing haiku sequences with a theme; how and where to get published; and how to teach haiku and senryu to adults and students of all levels. Quite simply, it will inspire you to write or keep up your momentum, if you are already writing and publishing good haiku.
Below, are just a few of the 80 terrific reviews I’ve received for my book from the experts:
- An altogether brilliant work that must be read by anyone with so much as a passing interest in haiku.
(John Dunphy, Haiku Poet and Author)
- This book is overall the best one out there on the subject.
(Michael McClintock, Author/Editor/ Former President of The United Haiku and Tanka Society)
- If a book about haiku inspires the reader to create haiku, then Charlotte Digregorio’s Haiku and Senryu: A Simple Guide for All has done its job bountifully.
(Robin Stratton, Editor, Boston Literary Magazine)
- A strong overview of haiku–a wealth of information on how to introduce and teach haiku to children, college students, and interested adults.
(Michael Rehling, Haiku Editor and Poet)
- An energetic and comprehensive guide by a prolific writer and educator with insightful perspectives and a generous sampling of published haiku and senryu.
(Frogpond, Journal of the Haiku Society of America)
- I honor the work Charlotte Digregorio has done on behalf of English-language haiku in Haiku and Senryu: A Simple Guide for All. She has a gift for writing clearly, concentrating on what matters beyond passing controversy.
(Robert Epstein, Haiku Author and Editor)
- Marvelous book and marvelous insight! I truly enjoyed this book, being wonderfully surprised by the new information I didn’t know.
(Donna Bauerly, Poet and Professor Emeritus, Loras College)
- Passionate, clear, well-supported instruction about haiku and senryu. Any artist will revel in the splendor, humor, and knowledge this book has to offer.
(Connie, Kuntz, Editor, The Rockford Review)
- A poetry reference book that should be on all poets’ bookshelves.
(Authorship magazine, National Writers Association)
- A rich resource for teachers with concise and accessible definitions of haiku and senryu. The material is wonderfully delivered and accessible to even student-poets, loaded with examples and explanations.
(Tom Painting, Haiku Author and Teacher)
- Charlotte Digregorio, a best-selling writer, has produced a compendious volume offering straightforward training not only to write competent haiku, but also to see your results published.
(Lin Geary, Book Reviewer, Haiku Canada Review)
My book is available through Amazon or you can receive an autographed copy directly from me, if you email me for instructions: email@example.com
If you simply afford the book, don’t worry. It is available at libraries, and also free through inter-library loan.
I wish all my blog readers a happy holiday season and a very creative new year!
Copyright 2018 by Charlotte Digregorio.